Guild structure suggestions and discussion

179 respuestas [Último envío]
Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008
Lynnutte wrote:
I was thinking, if we send each individual news article to the translators, they could translate them and send them to blutec when they are done. She can get the newsletter looking great (as always) in whichever language she is most comfortable with first, save it, then replace all the articles with the translated ones. That way the all newsletters will look the same and it might save time and work. I'm not sure if this is doable or not. As I said I need to talk to blutec and see what she think.
What does everyone else think about it?
Narym wrote:
Blutec uses Microsoft Publisher. The translators would almost certainly need to have this software in order to 'translate', because they won't be able to work from pdf form, or at least, not easily ;) But if they have that, they should be able to prevent any problems arising from different keyboard setups.

That's a nice idea, Lynnutte. But this will put more work on blutec's shoulders. Narym's idea seems better to me; I use Windows and I have Microsoft Publisher 2003 so I should be able to work on the newsletter as blutec does. I just downloaded a PDFprinter so that I can make the Newsletter in PDF format too. Everything I'll need would be the Newsletter's MSPublisher File.

Narym wrote:
Also, re: advertising for The Archiver, I personally have no problems with people advertising it in different languages. However, I will not ask them to do, merely allow them if they have the time and desire to do so, mainly because:

1. They are GoMe translators first and foremost, and should concentrate primarily on GoMe projects.

2. We don't produce anything in languages other than English. We used to, but the reality is that translating a 30+ page magazine is hard going, and is also a rather thankless job, so getting any consistent translation effort going is difficult. I would really only push for advertising in other languages if our productions were also translated themselves, which would put too much burden on those translators we already have.

So basically, if you have the time, and you want to do some affiliate advertising on the side, go for it, but not at the cost of GoMe affairs.

That makes sense :)

Gbadji wrote:
Well, I'm working on Mac OS not on Windows and I use Pages as Document Editor. I can export text in PDF, Word and RTF. If it's a problem, I can see to use OpenOffice but I think exported formats will be the same.

AFAIK the export format should be PDF.
The real question is: Is OpenOffice (or Pages) able to open MSPublisher files (.pub)?

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

I would say OO probably can open pub files. Their cross compatability has gotten really good, lately. I'd check now (i'm on a windows/Linux dual boot) but I'm going to bed soon. The cross compatibility might not be perfect, though, so it might be better to stick to the same program, if possible.

Quote:
I use Windows and I have Microsoft Publisher 2003 so I should be able to work on the newsletter as blutec does.

That makes things infinitely easier. Blutec gives you the templates or whatever, and you simply shove the translated copy into the layout. Easy as pie :)

Quote:
Well, I'm working on Mac OS not on Windows and I use Pages as Document Editor. I can export text in PDF, Word and RTF. If it's a problem, I can see to use OpenOffice but I think exported formats will be the same.

Yeah, if you export as a pdf from Mac, it'll read exactly the same as one exported from any other operating system/program. The problem, however, comes from how you get that pdf. Publisher files won't work in pages, so short of starting from scratch and redoing the templates in Pages, there's no easy way to simply produce a translated copy of blutec's original, other than working with the original Publisher files, if that makes sense.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007
Quote:
I will stop looking for translators and asking Leonardo and Gdabji to do the Archiver annoucements. That way everyones happy.

There is no reason to limit them, if they feel they have the time and energy to do both projects.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Right.
Announcements usually aren't long. The one you gave me yesterday took me only about 10 minutes (for both the newsletter and The Archiver).
So if the editors of the Archiver want me to translate the announcement I'll do. :D

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

As for what programs you people use to put the newsletter out, I'll let you figure it out. As long as the newsletters look similar, I'm be happy. Talking about technical stuff that I don't understand makes my head hurt and take more effort and energy than I have right now. :lol:

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007
Szark wrote:
Narym wrote:
So basically, if you have the time, and you want to do some affiliate advertising on the side, go for it, but not at the cost of GoMe affairs.

I will remember this when you are hounding me to reach Archiver deadlines. :D

Won't there be a response from Narym on this? ;)

This is a trickier subject than I realized, and I must honestly say, I didn't give a lot of thought to it when Nanouk suggested that the GoMe should prioritize itself ahead of affiliates, because that is how I think most of us do things already... we focus on the GoMe. But, I can see how in Szark's situation, this creates a little conflict.

As a general rule, we should try not to over-volunteer ourselves, and I think that defining our personal limits is an individual decision. Just remember that there will be slow times and there will be busy times, and in slow times, you may agree to work on too many different projects. Then, when the "Crunch time" arrives on multiple projects at once, you are overburdened and cannot meet obligations.

I think that cooperation is a good thing. Offer to help when you can. Just be certain of how much work you're volunteering to do - define some limits, if there aren't already some clear ones. If you later discover you've taken on too much work, let the people who are depending upon you know sooner rather than later, and learn from the experience, and adjust your expectations of yourself accordingly.

We're all volunteer organizations, the GoMe and its affiliates. We probably can't go around telling our members, "You have to prioritize us." How would we feel if the Archiver told Szark, "No, you have to prioritize us?" We can't play tug-of-war with our members in the center. We have to let each person to use his or her personal judgment about how much work to do, and for whom to do it.

Narym
Desconectado/a
Quote:
Quote:
I will remember this when you are hounding me to reach Archiver deadlines. :D

The difference here is that Szark has always been heavily involved in Archiver stuff. He's pitched in as much to The Archiver as he has the GoMe (and that's saying something). So I consider him to be a member of both, not one or the other. If he decided he personally couldn't handle the stress of it all, he'd be free to leave (though we'd miss him terribly :P)

However, these new guys have, to date, only been involving themselves in Guild stuff, so that should be their priority. If they wanted to do Archiver stuff too, that would be an entirely separate responsibility that, in the interests of following through with prior engagements, they should only pick up if they have the time to do so without jeopardising their Guild work.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

Ok, I'm going to weigh in here. Who are we to tell anyone where their priorities should be? It's a personal choice. We have no right to tell anyone anything. All we can do is trust then to know their own limits, or to discover them quickly, and stay within them. :D

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh I started something here. I have seen the light and yes Narym you are correct , I can see it now.

Quote:
However, these new guys have, to date, only been involving themselves in Guild stuff, so that should be their priority. If they wanted to do Archiver stuff too, that would be an entirely separate responsibility that, in the interests of following through with prior engagements, they should only pick up if they have the time to do so without jeopardising their Guild work.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to weigh in here. Who are we to tell anyone where their priorities should be? It's a personal choice. We have no right to tell anyone anything. All we can do is trust then to know their own limits, or to discover them quickly, and stay within them.

In my case I don't see this as a problem. I do see the your point Lynnutte. As Marten said we a volunteer based organisation, so with this in mind we should all make sure that each others ground work isn't wasted or abused. Before you all start, I not saying anyone is being abused. But I wouldn't mind....did I just say that out load. :oops:
Somethings I can think off an idea and run with it but most ideas I can not. I want and need to be lead to be guilded towards a common goal. I am not saying hold my hand every step of the way but you people have a clear, well mostly, idea on how to do things and what direction we are headed for.
Yes it has been frantic over the last 4 days but this is part of building something up. Ground work. So I don't see it as taking to much on, over a prolonged period. Yes I have been stressed but I am stressed everyday. I live on adrenaline, not out of choice I might add. Anyway yes I do have to keep an eye on how much I do. But in the same token it would be nice if to see that ground work paying off, and it seems to be. :shock: :lol:

This is my fantasy world I live in; I see the GoMe and affilates as one big orangisation that has one thing in common, getting the message out there. Weather it be the Newsletter or the Great tree docu's, Archiver, CCN cavern casts, Relayers, Criers and Music. We are the peolpes Guild, we should be the Backbone of the community that connects and binds all the other Guilds and societies etc together. I am loyal the the TCT as much as the GoMe as I am to CCN. But that's just me always trying to look at the whole and missing the small details.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
The difference here is that Szark has always been heavily involved in Archiver stuff. He's pitched in as much to The Archiver as he has the GoMe (and that's saying something). So I consider him to be a member of both, not one or the other. If he decided he personally couldn't handle the stress of it all, he'd be free to leave (though we'd miss him terribly )

You wont get ride of me that easy. :twisted: Tell you I am a stubborn mule but hopefully not to arrogant or pushy. :evil:

Personally I think that the Guild structure is good but not complete. As we move forward there should be a Pinned/Sticky post detailing the chain of command and who is top person. For example
Newsletter: Lynnutte: Overseer
Blutec: Assembler
Gbadji: French Translator
Leonardo: Italian Translator
Szark: Newsposter for (and list the sites, which I don't mind doing a major chunk of these with the liaisons and translators doing the others)
and so on for all section heads. No problems finding out whos doing what. That would be like a self prioritising system. Then we could make sure that work load is spread out as much as possible.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Leonardo and Gbadji, sorry to refer to you as "The translators" but is was the easiest way to explain things. You are more than just translators you are now Messengers as well. Helping to reach the bigger community which is something that is making me smile and I hope veralun, do you smile? :twisted:

Szark

Narym
Desconectado/a
Quote:
Who are we to tell anyone where their priorities should be? It's a personal choice. We have no right to tell anyone anything. All we can do is trust then to know their own limits, or to discover them quickly, and stay within them.

I agree. But I think maybe good manners in this case dictates that people should focus on their first commitments before taking up others. I'm not demanding anyone do anything, just that I don't want translating announcements for my publication to detract from their, IMO, more important work translating stuff for the GoMe. But if they want to help out, I won't say no ;)

That's the end of that.

Anyways, a list of Guild positions would be good. But instead of clogging up the forums, how's about someone list it in a document, and send it to me an shimmer. I can post it to the to-be-new site (which is at http://www.guildofmessengers.com/index.php, btw), while shimmer can post it to the current site when she has time.

But of course, if someone wants to post it to the forums as well, that's cool. Just don't let the thread get clogged up by discussion. Simply post the list, then lock it.

Veralun
Imagen de Veralun
Desconectado/a
se unió: Dic 2 2007
Szark wrote:
This is my fantasy world I live in; I see the GoMe and affilates as one big orangisation that has one thing in common, getting the message out there. Weather it be the Newsletter or the Great tree docu's, Archiver, CCN cavern casts, Relayers, Criers and Music. We are the peolpes Guild, we should be the Backbone of the community that connects and binds all the other Guilds and societies etc together. I am loyal the the TCT as much as the GoMe as I am to CCN. But that's just me always trying to look at the whole and missing the small details.

It is a good fantasy world Szark. It is also my wish.
And that wish is very close to be a reality.
It took a while before we came to a point like this and all thanks to the flexibility and the loyality of all parties to make something great from the Guild of Messengers.
Because we all see that the GoMe can play an important roll in the future.
And we got the attention from Cyan because they saw we managed to come together, which was for them very important.
All of us are individuals with exellent skills, which could also work on their own, like they did in the past.
But the goal from this all was to bring us individuals (affilliates) together and work together to reach that one goal: to supply the community with the news and present our skills (in whatever form) there is.
And all this whithout loosing our own unique identidy. But that means also to accept and respect eachothers views.
That is a large and difficult process, but we managed till now very well.
It is still a Guild in process. That means there are always possibilities to do the things in a better way. The structure we have now does not mean this is THE structure. Those things have to grow. And discussions like this are exellent.
It make us think and search for the best way to make the Guild of Messengers to a succesfull Guild.

As I said before Szark: You do a very good job. My advise (for what it counts) is: try to find a balance in the things you do for the Guild.
I know it is a major task, but we also have a Rl .
And that need to be nurtured too. :wink:

.......................CCN.........................

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

I think you hit the nail on the head Veralun. We are all learning to compliment each other and help each other get better. The only way to make this guild the best we can is to continue to communicate with each other. It may have seemed at first that you opened a can of worms Szark, but I think this needed to be discussed and worked out before a problem came up. Well done Szark! :D

I question before i go, have I been putting too many figures of speech in my writing? I'm sure most Americans will know what I'm talking about, but internationals, I'm not so sure. Some things just don't translate well. :lol:

blutec
Imagen de blutec
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 15 2008

quick reply on the jobs and things I can do:

I can assemble the GoMe newsletter, I could do the translations as well, but it isn't just copy-paste, sorry. Text in another language always differ in length, and I don't know when I can alter or cut a sentence in another language (English is hard enough already). Another solution I don't mind (personally, as a foreigner) when the original is in another language: to have (in this case) the english newsletter in the format, and have a plain text transcription in my own language next to it.

I hope I can make clear (again) what I can and can't do in the assemblers job (leave out the extraordinaire part please, it's the title Shimmer deserves, because she also could edit and correct and create more or less text when necessary, I can't).
I can assemble: copy paste and make pretty, I can not edit, write or be my own corrector.

Right now I'm trying to make a timeline for myself to know what it takes for the assembler to get things to assemble on time. It's helping me to figure where the duties and responsabilities for the assmbler are or not.
Like Szark I felt a lot kept in the dark, and felt responsable for things I'm not (getting articles, getting them corrected/rewritten), but I'm learning in the process here, and thats great. Now I know why that was: Shimmer did those things in the assembling job :)

Oh... and there is another job I could take on...
I'm in There a lot, not affiliated with one group, just flutter amongst all Uru related groups and ppl. I meet at least once a week with the TMP and the GoMa, just for good times, but I could do some affiliate work if the duties are clear and have some kind of structure. But I'm not your dream affiliate, I'm not in There to chat (weird for a chat service lol) or meet, so I would have to go on duty for this (and will do that with pleasure).

As for all duties & me: I'm a follower, need guidance and support, and some structure is very helpful.

grtz, blutec

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

My idea on this topic is that each of us have to find his/her priorities. To me, the Guild shouln'd say someone have to put the focus on it, just have everyone say (before they begin their work) how much they're going to put in this work. E.g.: I'm going to translate the Newsletter but I don't have much time so this work will take me a week to be completed (Just making an example, I think I'll finish the translation before :lol: ).
To say that other words:

Lynnutte wrote:
Ok, I'm going to weigh in here. Who are we to tell anyone where their priorities should be? It's a personal choice. We have no right to tell anyone anything. All we can do is trust then to know their own limits, or to discover them quickly, and stay within them.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

blutec wrote:
Text in another language always differ in length, and I don't know when I can alter or cut a sentence in another language (English is hard enough already). Another solution I don't mind (personally, as a foreigner) when the original is in another language: to have (in this case) the english newsletter in the format, and have a plain text transcription in my own language next to it.

Oh yes...that's my headache of these days :lol: Just kidding.
Well, yes it' s bit difficult to keep the translation with the same length of the english version.

Lynnutte wrote:
I question before i go, have I been putting too many figures of speech in my writing? I'm sure most Americans will know what I'm talking about, but internationals, I'm not so sure. Some things just don't translate well. :lol:

Just use fantasy and it's all clear. :lol:

Szark wrote:
Leonardo and Gbadji, sorry to refer to you as "The translators" but is was the easiest way to explain things. You are more than just translators you are now Messengers as well. Helping to reach the bigger community which is something that is making me smile and I hope veralun, do you smile? :twisted:

Wooho! We're Messengers! Szark the word Translators is correct. Yes, we're messengers, but our role in the Guild is Translators (and newsposters on our native-language forums).

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008

On the French Eden Gira forums, I did say that Gbadji was a pretty good example of a newcomer getting way ahead of her mentor. (within the first day).

Because I have known Leo since the Until Uru days, I can say that I saw him as a master right from the beginning and I do not beleive I will ever able be to surpass him....... At least in this incarnation. :wink: :mrgreen:

Good work Translators-Messengers (with a big " T " and a big " M " )

Gbadji
Desconectado/a

So, I have to go to work to the translation if I want my mentor happy ;).

For the layout of the newsletter for the french version, if the template is always or almost the same, I can build one with Pages and try with the third issue (I just need the pictures), export it in PDF and send it to Lynnutte and blutec (and someone else if expected) .
Maybe we will start to publish the fourth version in french.

See you soon.

Nothing to do except a dream, see you soon in the City.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

That sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

It's like Guild structure yoyo here :D I just found this on

http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... 65&t=33333

by Nalates

Quote:
The GoC is a guild of free people. Many would like to impose structure and rules. Most prefer someone else do the work and just suggest what should be done. Does that shoe fit anyone? I am a strong believer in that if you want it done, get busy and do it.

We all see things differently, so I may wear the shoe for pushing for a free and loosely structured guild that does not apparently fit -Erik-'s vision. If someone needs lots of structure and assignment of tasks... the GoC should probably not be their first choice. (and that is not a bad thing) I too may well be considered to drag my feet at changing the Guild. I’ll proudly wear that shoe. But, there is little to map now. The future is uncertain for the need of those maps. The Messengers have a task at hand; we need communication to stay together. The Writers have a task at hand as they prepare for UCC and learn the skills and build the tools that may be needed. When the GOC was in its heyday, the Messengers and Writers had less to do than they do today. As uncertain as their future is, they are enjoying what they do now. *Applause*

I see there is little for GoC members to do at the moment. If anyone thinks differently, let them point out what they want and are willing to do. If you are going to point out what others SHOULD do, please hold your tongue that is just not this Guild's way. However, pointing out the community’s need for something and asking for help is always welcome.

This part was of real interest to me and on topic If someone needs lots of structure and assignment of tasks... the GoC should probably not be their first choice.. So the GoC was never for me. All the rest I pretty much agree with.
I just found it an intresting thread and very relavent. I have been following it for a bit now.
Szark

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

Thank you Szark for showing us this. It never ceases to surprise me that people follow or even care what we do here, but that's just me.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
Lynnutte wrote:
Thank you Szark for showing us this. It never ceases to surprise me that people follow or even care what we do here, but that's just me.

I figure that some "invisible ones" are waiting for "blood" or some other ones are wishing for some others to grow up in "spirit".

We at the Guild of Messengers are spoiled a lot.

Why ???? : because we are allowed to make mistakes and are not nailed to a cross everytime we fall.

The following is not a request. :wink:
Maybe we should add something to our motto. Like: If you see a person who is on the ground after a fall " give that person your hand and help her/him standup. 8)

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

That actually sounds like a good motto for the Guild of Healers.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
Marten wrote:
That actually sounds like a good motto for the Guild of Healers.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Guild of Messengers must have an Invisible "healer". :lol:

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jul 6 2008

I'm very glad I found this as I have a way better understanding of how things go here. ahemm. What I really notice is that what goes on here, and who does it, changes quite a bit as the Guild moves from month to month; i.e.
full thread here=

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Quote:
by Kalypso on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:07 pm
Technically, there are a lot of people involved in the GoMe. They just don't post here. I'm just stating the ones who post on this forum. The way the GoMe works is that contrary to the other Guilds where they had to build the Guild from scratch, the Guild is made of several news organizations(some have existed for years) who affiliate themselves with the GoMe in the last few months. Each affiliate is highly autonomous and they do their own thing on their own, using their own forums. Those who post here are likely to be the key people in each organization and through them they can be the link between the big GoMe and their organization. The GoMe don't tell the organizations what to do but provides them with services, help and opportunities of cooperation.

This tells me that we, GoMe, are in service to others, and are the collector and issuer of, the news others have. We don't have news or make news, unless it is about GoMe, 'The Guild' itself.
As to structure, in this sense I mean leaders and members, that changes also, as evidenced by

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148

I am aware and am quite sure the rest of the GoMe membership is, that the process to completion of the newsletter, however designed, requires the willingness of the volunteers to commit to the part of the process they volunteered for.
Any time we cannot meet the level of committment required of the process, we must ask for help and get that help, or stand down.

and then there is this; full thread here=

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148&p=2161#p2161

Quote:
by Lynnutte on Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:22 pm

It isn't about telling anyone anything. If they volunteer, then they make a committment to the process, not to you or I. If one finds the task too daunting, again, ask for help, get help or stand down.
The process is set to keep the Guild functioning. People come and go and work is good or better or bad and the Guild has to stand, as a service that others who need that service, can rely on. If not, then they all go back to their own guilds and forums and take care of themselves and we have nothing to do. Except to try and win them back to using GoMe.

Thank you all, for the opportunity to be a part of the process I volunteered to be a part of.

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Oct 29 2007
Narym wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, a list of Guild positions would be good. But instead of clogging up the forums, how's about someone list it in a document, and send it to me an shimmer. I can post it to the to-be-new site (which is at http://www.guildofmessengers.com/index.php, btw), while shimmer can post it to the current site when she has time.

But of course, if someone wants to post it to the forums as well, that's cool. Just don't let the thread get clogged up by discussion. Simply post the list, then lock it.

I just volunteer to a similar task for the GoMe Newsletter but considering it's basically the same thing only on a bigger scale, I'd be willing to do this "Census of the GoMe" with the possibility to give a direction/goal/structure to the messengers who prefer to have some to be productive (like Szark for example) or who are "lost" at how the could be a messenger.

Kalypso: #85553

Tai'lahr
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jul 8 2008

Is this "Census of the GoMe" the same thing as the roster/org chart I volunteered to organize during the July 5th meeting? (Narym sent me a basic roster which I was going to expand upon.) If so, should I continue and give you what I have, Kalypso? I must admit that I haven't gotten very far (still reading these forums and trying to sort out everyone's duties) and the only reason I volunteered for it (other than trying to be helpful in some small way) was because I wanted the information for myself so I could understand who's who and who does what around here. So, if someone can just give me the information, I'd be grateful. Just let me know how to proceed from here.

I must admit that the only reason I attended the July 5th meeting and then registered for these forums was because I wanted to assist Marten in any way I could. I didn't want to jump in feet first (and risk landing on somebody's toes) and just planned to hang around the fringes for awhile, helping out in small ways. My experience with another guild has left me a little "guild shy" but you all seem like a very nice bunch so I expect I will eventually feel more at home here. In the meantime, please consider me the guild gopher and don't hesitate to ask for my assitance with any small, simple tasks.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Hi ya Tailahr, nice to hear from you again.

Quote:
another guild has left me a little "guild shy" but you all seem like a very nice bunch so I expect I will eventually feel more at home here.

On a personal level regarding the above quote, this what I am going to strive for, That ole Cavernsense, see Ghaelen: Mincing terms blog

Quote:
Cavernsense is not cheese. It gets better with age, but It’s never stinky.

Cavernsense is not light. You can’t see it but its presence makes everything seem brighter.

Cavernsense is not a hammer. You can use it constantly and never pound anything down.

Cavernsense is not a burden. If you get tired of it you can always toss it aside.

Cavernsense is not currency. You can keep it all to yourself and still give it away.

plus it is a hobby and I for one have gotten a bit peeved with it sometimes, for this I question myself. How we operate here is ever so different from the TCT and that I had to get used to, but it is all good. Again persoanlly I think we have a duty to conduct ourselves according how Cyan would want us to act. I am not saying we bend to their every whim but respect what they are trying to achieve and how they go about achieving those goals. Without selling their souls and integrity, to be true to what is good about the most so called intelligent species on the planet.

Anyway Tailahr come and step on my toes, I won't mind at all. We all stumble first, before we find our feet.
Szark

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger
Tailahr wrote:
Is this "Census of the GoMe" the same thing as the roster/org chart I volunteered to organize during the July 5th meeting? (Narym sent me a basic roster which I was going to expand upon.) If so, should I continue and give you what I have, Kalypso? I must admit that I haven't gotten very far (still reading these forums and trying to sort out everyone's duties) and the only reason I volunteered for it (other than trying to be helpful in some small way) was because I wanted the information for myself so I could understand who's who and who does what around here. So, if someone can just give me the information, I'd be grateful. Just let me know how to proceed from here.

I must admit that the only reason I attended the July 5th meeting and then registered for these forums was because I wanted to assist Marten in any way I could. I didn't want to jump in feet first (and risk landing on somebody's toes) and just planned to hang around the fringes for awhile, helping out in small ways. My experience with another guild has left me a little "guild shy" but you all seem like a very nice bunch so I expect I will eventually feel more at home here. In the meantime, please consider me the guild gopher and don't hesitate to ask for my assitance with any small, simple tasks.

Tailahr, I do not know if the roster/org chart is the same thing as I am doing. I welcome you to send me what you have collected so far. I would appreciate it very much. ;) The GoMe Census that I am doing will be very useful about what everybody is doing in the guild and how to contact them.
The Census being in construction, it is not completed but I already have updated it with more information. You can view the appropriate thread here and then click on the census:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=261

I sent you a PM regarding questions that i have for you, please answered them so I can include your information in the Census and then help you help us with things. ;) We always need a Gopher on the GoMe team! ;)

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

Welcome to the GoMe Tailahr.

Yep, you will find some mighty nice persons in here. Take your time, have a good look around and be ready to jump on an assignment of your liking.

The best way to learn is not to be afraid to make some mistakes and learn from them.

Nice having you onboard.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

We're just a little over a month away from October, so it is now time to discuss the overall guild structure again and prepare for a new round of elections. Also, Narym recently inquired as to the point of the Reporters Chair position. I haven't answered that question and so that needs to be part of the discussion.

1. Let's begin with a review of our current system.

The current Messengers Guild Council consists of a 5 person team. There is a Guild Master, elected by all members of the Guild; an Affiliates representative elected by the Affiliate organizations; a Services chair, elected by those who are running projects for the Guild; a Liaison representative, elected by the Messenger Liaisons to other groups and guilds; and a Reporters Chair, who is again elected by all members of the Guild.

The odd-numbered council is intended to prevent voting ties if the council needs to make a decision without involving all members. We haven't really had to worry about that, but I believe it is a nice mechanism to have in place regardless.

While I can't say I've always been successful, I've tried to do these things in my role as Guild Master:
* Keep basic tabs on active projects. Encourage people to post updates.
* Plan and organize monthly meetings
* Connect with Cyan (a role now delegated to the Liaisons Chair position)
* Mediate in cases of disagreement or poor communication, and keep our Guild together
* Share lessons learned with everyone here

Lynnutte is our Affiliates Chair. Her responsibility in that role has been to work with our affiliate organizations and promote collaboration between them and our Guild. Affiliates are news and creative production organizations, including TCT, CCN, Relayer Corps, Criers, and Uru Radio. I expect there may be opportunities during MORE for us to add new affiliates.

Shimmer is our Services chair. The Services chair wields the proverbial whip over GoMe projects, such as the website, Rel.to (reminder: Rel.to is a GoMe service, not an Affiliate), and the Newsletter. The Gome Gopher cartoon would also fall into this category. While each project has a lead person or project manager, Shimmer is basically the program manager for all of the projects put together.

Szark is our Liaisons chair. He has diligently worked to better define the role of the Liaisons, and his position acts as the "global" Liaison to other groups that don't have a dedicated Messenger Liaison. Szark and the Liaison group are the path through which we communicate with the councils or leadership of other groups and guilds. If you want to spread a message on behalf of our Guild, it goes to the Liaisons Chair position first. An example of this is the GoMe proposal for an all-guilds meeting. If you are spreading your own personal story, and you want us, or the GoMe, or anyone else to spread it around - then that doesn't need to go through the Liaisons group. (Szark's role of keeping the RSS feed regularly updated with news that has been brought to us is generally an independent duty of his role as a Liaison, although as Liaison to the MOUL forums, he will fact-check any rumors posted as stories.)

Narym is our Reporters chair. Narym's responsibility is to encourage independent explorers and players to announce news through the GoMe. There are a large number of people on the MOUL forum, on Uru Obsession, on Myst Community, and many other forums who haven't aligned themselves with any specific Guild or group or purpose. We should encourage these people to report news when they see it - sort of like the "iReporter" thing previously mentioned. If the GoMe had an advertising campaign, it would probably fall under Narym's position. Recruiting would possibly fall under this position as well, although this is now a Logistics issue handled by Andros.

Since the formation of the Guild, we've developed some additional important duties that do not fit into the above structure.

* Weekly Update Coordinator - performed by Szark - is to produce a weekly digest of discussions and activities and tasks. I asked for someone to do this job because I did not have the time to do it myself. It is an invaluable resource for participants in the Guild that cannot read our forum daily.

* Daily RSS Feed Update - performed by Szark - is a once per day task to ensure that news doesn't sit in our "Submit News" bin for too long.

* Logistics Manager - performed by Andros - is responsible for job coordination and recruiting. We cannot ensure that people will always delegate their responsibilities to other people when they need to leave or go on break. The Logistics Manager assists any of the other Guild Chairs or the project groups under them (with the exception, perhaps, of the affiliates) by recruiting to fill job positions. As an example, when our Calendar manager retired, Andros recruited Veralun to keep this job active.

There are other jobs, such as the just-mentioned Calendar manager, and I don't mean to diminish the value of those positions by not mentioning them here. I believe the way all of those positions fit together with the above structure is part of the document Tai'lahr is working on now, and at the very least, a list of roles can be found on the Job Census put together by Andros.

2. Next step: Fill in the above descriptions. What have I left out? What is not getting done the way I've described it?
3. Step after that: Where do we want to go from here?
4. Begin nominations process.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

I agree with everything you said. I don't think you left anything out.